Zucchini season is starting to take off, which means we are going to need lots of creative uses for this vegetable.
Whether you grow it yourself, know someone who grows it, or just buy it at the market, when it’s zucchini season, it’s abundant!
Zucchini taco boats are a fun healthy twist for Taco Tuesday or really any day of the week! I add chorizo for a zesty twist.
- 3 zucchini
- 1/2 lb. fresh chorizo, casings removed
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can black beans
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- 4 ounces pepper jack or Mexican style cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces queso fresco cheese
- 2 T fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Crumble the fresh chorizo and ground beef into a skillet. Add the onion, garlic, cumin and chili powder.
- Cook over medium heat until the chorizo and beef is browned, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans to the mixture until warmed through and well combined.
- While the meat bean mixture cooks, wash your zucchini and chop off the stem end. Cut them in half lengthwise. Use a melon baller to scoop out the middles.
- Add zucchini middles to saute with meat mixture.
- Arrange the boats in a single layer in a large tray pan.
- Evenly fill your zucchini boats with the meat mixture using a spoon.
- Combine cheeses in a separate bowl and add to the tops of the boats.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake in the heated oven for 35 minutes.
- After baking, garnish with the cilantro. Enjoy!
Sponsored by: Urban Splatter and find cool architecture posts here
This looks delicious! Can’t wait to cook it for my wife!